According to the excavators, the Thisbe (“place of residence for pigeons”, Ilias 2,502), already mentioned by Homeros, still shows impressive remnants of its classic walls with a total length of 2.5 km, with a total of seven towers still recognizable. However, an extensive exploration of the city reveals clear remnants of the fortifications on both hills, but no wall remains in the valley. It is therefore conceivable that the western hill contained only a watchtower, while the eastern hill formed the acropolis of the actual city, comparable in size to Panopeus and thus with a total wall length of about 1400 meters. However, the west side of that hill shows no traces of stone walls, so the reconstruction of the excavators is preferable.
The area of the city continued up to the Gulf of Corinth with the port of Vathy. The city was represented in the Boiotian League by Thespiai, but still existed under the Romans until later antiquity. The antique walls were used as a base for new fortifications in the Byzantine or later times. The pictures above and right show antique remains of the eastern hill. The 3 photos below show (partly Mycenaean) graves carved in the eastern flank of the western hill.