The ancient Anagyrous, named after the malodorous herb anagyron, which has unfortunately not been identified. A Greek researcher reported in 1862 that several decades before his time, local people made an effort every year in early spring to remove a particular herb that gave off an extremely foul air when touched. However, it was no longer common in his day. Anagyrous is located on the west coast of Attica at the current Vari not far from the sanctuary of Apollo Zoster. In the area mainly graves have been found, although the old houses of Vari contain enormous amounts of antique building material. Some remains of the ancient defensive wall have also been found.
Of particular interest is the Cave of Vari in the southern flank of the Hymettos Mountains, west of the Vari-Koropi road. The nymphs were especially revered in this cave, but also Apollo and Pan. The cave remained in use from 600 to about 150 BC, but was also used as a holy place in early Christian times. Many hundreds of oil lamps have been found, several inscriptions, a relief and a statue of a seated woman (without a head). The inscriptions speak of a certain Archedemos, who was possessed by the nymphs.
Interesting, but difficult to recognize, are the remains of a classic farmhouse with a courtyard a few kilometers away from the Vari cave, where a whole website is devoted to: http://www.learningsites.com.
Photos: the Cave of Vari, with steps carved in the rock, the nymph-owned stonemason Archedemos (with altar), the seated goddess and the “Vari House”.