The Acrocorinth, the original acropolis of Corinth, is with its 575m. height one of the best defensible places in Europe. The mountain top is surrounded by a wall of more than 2.5 km. and the access is defended by a triple access gate. The entrance gate itself reflects the long history of the site: the right tower of gate C largely dates from the 4th century BC, while the left tower of Byzantine is easy from the 12th century AD.
During the Frankish invasion and siege, the Acrocorinth managed to hold out against its besiegers (1205-1210) for five years, although the commander Leon Sgouros fell down from the towers after three years with his horse and all. The majority of the fortifications are on top of classical Hellenistic walls. Of the buildings discussed by Pausanias, the (above) Peirene source that is “behind the temple” can still be seen: the source house is located behind the remains of Turkish barracks, underground. Almost nothing is left of the temple for Aphrodite, where (according to sources that are not completely reliable) hundreds of temple prostitutes have served the goddess. Originally located on the highest peak of the Acrocorinth, just north of the well, later a church, a tower, a mosque and a gunners’ platform were located there. The view is beautiful.