The harbor town of Halai was first inhabited in the Neolithic period. However, the visible remains are from a much later date. The town was founded around 650 BC. and was destroyed in an earthquake in the 5th century. There are few remains from the classical period (480-300 BC), but the city flourished in the Hellenistic period. Later Halai was destroyed by Sulla, but rebuilt under the Romans. In the late Roman period, a Christian basilica is built and people were first buried within the city walls.
The town was abandoned during the Slavic invasions. In the 12th century, a smaller church was built within the remains of the old basilica. The excavations of 1911-1935 were resumed in 1990 by Cornell University and are now finished. Publication will follow. This beautiful excavated an informative site starts to expire again, as a result of which most information boards (except the top left) have disappeared. Most visible remains are those of the city walls from the Macedonian period, although the basilica is also clearly recognizable, in particular the apse (photo above right).
Photos from left ro right: map and layout periods, street to (archaic) gate, apse early Christian basilica; right Macedonian western city walls; under some aerial shots (May 2017), with clearly visible the remains of the basilica.